Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Does this worry anyone else?

Every day on my way to UIC I bike under the train tracks that separate Pilsen from University Village/Little Italy. I most frequently bike under them on Morgan Street, but also on Racine and Halsted. Metra, Amtrak, and freight trains use these tracks continuously throughout the day. All of three of these train bridges are in a terrible state of decay. Yes, decay is the most fitting word. They are literally crumbling.

Those are holes on the right, and those flakes all came off of that column.

There are several tracks running across the bridge, and there is obviously an older part of the bridge and a newer concrete part. The new part looks fine, as far as I can tell. It's the old part that has me worried.

When I moved here a year ago and first saw the rusting supports, I thought, Eeek, that doesn't look good. I guess they don't use those tracks anymore. Then I saw an engine parked right on top of it, right on top of the crumbling supports.

This morning when I biked under the Morgan Street bridge the engine didn't stop right over it, but you can see the flatbed cars parked on top of it in this picture. Thankfully they're empty.


Above you can see the upper support beams (forgive me, I'm not an engineer) rusting away, and yes, that's daylight you can see through the holes.

Not only are the columns and support beams rusting, the concrete at the sides of the bridge is crumbling. I think the big storm on August 4 really made the erosion worse.


Below is a closer shot of the concrete erosion at the top.

I know that bridges are designed with structural redundancy, but I have a hard time believing that these rusty things are doing their job supporting the several freight trains that run over this particular part of the bridge several times each day.

Who should know about this? Who declares this safe?

How can Chicago possibly be a safe, resilient, efficient city if our railroad infrastructure is crumbing?

1 comment:

  1. The state of train tracks and stations all over Chicago is really scary. I've seen rotting metal and wood in many places, not to mention the super-narrow platforms at stations like State and Lake. I really don't understand why the government refuses to fund the CTA adequately. You might find this site interesting: http://www.transitridersalliance.org/ . I'm on their email list and they keep me updated on what's going on with Illinois transit and some actions to take.

    ReplyDelete