Sunday, November 8, 2009

Persimmon Pudding

I was in Indiana Oct 23-25 and noticed a persimmon tree at the house where we were staying. Native persimmons ripen in late fall and have an unpleasant astringent taste if they are eaten before they are ripe. Your best bet is to collect them from the ground. I collected a bagful before we headed home to Chicago.
After much research online, I decided to make persimmon pudding. I used the recipe found here.

First I removed the woody tops of the fruits.
Then I put them in a bowl.
Since I needed persimmon puree and don't have a food mill, I used the laundry bag method.

I squeezed the persimmons with the bag. In hindsight, I don't recommend this method. I should've used a colander (easier to clean). Now I have a partially stained laundry bag.



The pudding was delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment