Sunday, January 10, 2010

Terrariums

The frost finally did come to kill my balcony garden (December 2 or 3 I think). In the meantime, I've been enjoying the green my houseplants offer inside, as well as becoming more and more enthusiastic about terrariums. I made two really awesome terrariums at the end of November after seeing some on Etsy.

Last spring the university was clearing out an old biology lab, so I brought home a bunch of cool glassware like this huge 2.8 L flask, not knowing exactly what I'd do with it but knowing that it was very cool. A terrarium seemed like the perfect use for it.



I had the great fortune to get some moss from an intro bio lab at school that was going to be discarded at the end of the week, so I used that. They probably got it from Carolina Biological Supply. I was thrilled to get such thick, lush moss because you just don't see moss like that in Chicago outside of the Garfield Park Conservatory!



First I laid down a layer of small rocks (collected from the shore of Lake Michigan in the fall), with a few larger ones mixed in.


Then I put down a small amount of sphagnum moss that I took from a potted plant...



...and then covered that with a layer of potting mix. I used a Cacti and Succulent Soil Mix that I had.



Then I started adding the moss. Sometimes it was a squeeze to fit the chunks of moss through the flask opening.



The sides of the flask were dirty when I finished, so I took a rag and chopstick to wipe around the inside.



Having gained some confidence using the flask with a relatively large opening, I decided to try a large bottle.



This bottle shows layers more nicely than the flask, so I layered different rock sizes.



I made a paper funnel out of junk mail that I used to help direct where the little pebbles landed. This is key if you want nice layers.



Then I added a layer of potting mix (again, using the funnel to keep it from going all over the place. When I was ready to add the moss, I used chopsticks get the moss into the jar and move it into the desired place.



Now I just need to find the photos of the finished terrariums! More about moss and terrariums in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment