Friday, July 25, 2008

Could I put a rain barrel on my balcony?

I keep Googling things like "chickens on my balcony" and "rain barrel on my balcony" to no avail. I'm awfully excited about the south-facing balcony we'll have in our new place. The other day I noticed that it might be possible to divert water from one of the downspouts to a rain barrel because the downspout is located at the corner where the building meets the balcony.

At this point this is mostly a daydream since rain barrels start around $100 and the ones I like best are $130-$200. I think one important consideration before putting a rain barrel on a balcony is how much weight the balcony is designed to hold. If you've got a rain barrel, chances are you'll have some plants too, and it would be terrible for the thing to collapse when you have some friends over. I don't think weight would be a problem for our balcony, since my landlady told me that some previous tenants had a very large fish tank up there (she had a very large water bill to pay because of it)!

Do you have a rain barrel on your balcony? Do share.

No comments:

Post a Comment