Wednesday, July 9, 2008

uh oh... too much winter squash?

In May I planted some squash seeds that I saved from a calabaza squash that I bought at a farmer's market last fall (it's generally shaped like a pumpkin but variable in color). I planted them in a large window box that is actually sitting near our front steps. There are three squash vines all growing at one end of the box. I'm training all of the plants in this particular box (pole beans and squash) to grow on and around the fence.

Things seem to be going well. But. Today I did some reading online about calabaza squash and it says their vines can be 50-60 feet long with fruits up to 50 pounds!!! What have I gotten myself into? Where are these things going to grow? Surely they can't grow that large when planted in a container. But hopefully they can grow large enough to actually produce fruit! All three vines currently have flowers. If nothing else I can eat the blossoms.

2 comments:

  1. I think most squashes get really big. My mom has a funny story about the whole yard being taken over by a pumpkin plant she started to amuse her little kids -- they really weren't even that interested in using the pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah! You are the first commenter on my blog and I didn't even notice for a week and a half! Guess I need to check the notification settings! How did you find my blog? I didn't even tell my parents about it yet. Haha.

    I'll post pictures of the squash soon. It's been having trouble (wet roots I think) but I just moved it to a sunnier location.

    ReplyDelete